One day Meera woke up with the feeling of lightheadedness nausea. She was feeling low and had muscle aches for a few days. She consulted a doctor about these problems. After taking her dietary history, her doctor advised her to visit a dietitian.
Meera revealed to her dietitian that she was taking 3 glasses of detox water daily by skipping a few meals. Her dietitian told her that she was not consuming enough calories. Not only Meera, there are many others like Meera who are drinking detox water or following detox diets for detoxification by simply following information from google or watching YouTube.
Body does a great job of detoxifying itself through organs – skin, lungs, GI tract, microbiome, liver, and kidneys – all are involved in protecting our bodies from toxic substances.
The human body has mechanisms of detoxification to deal with both exogenous toxicants (from the environment) and endogenous (those produced inside the body as a result of metabolic processes). One of the best ways to detox is through water.
Even simple drinking water helps to flush toxins and debris like heavy metals, pollutants, food wastes.
But it can be a bit boring and monotonous to drink plain water . The new drink on the market is called “detox water,” and it is marketed as a way to enjoy the health benefits of water while still making it flavored. Soaking your favorite herbs like mint and cilantro or vegetables like cucumber in your daily pitcher can boost their nutritional value.
What is Detox Water?
Detox water is a glass of water infused with the flavors of fresh fruits, vegetables or herbs which is known for its virtue of eliminating toxins from the body and facilitating weight loss , thus promoting overall health and well-being. Detox water is also called fruit-infused water. They are packed with natural antioxidants that can reverse cell damage.
The inexpensive and aromatic way of drinking water has revolutionized the fitness world. Making detox water is so easy. You can start your day with a bright and fresh burst of energy by preparing a detox water. The best thing about detoxing is that it gives you the opportunity to experiment with your own personal routine. The more fruits and vegetables you add to your water, the more flavorful and healthy it becomes. There are options galore. Drink a glass of water and experience a new perspective on life.
Few studies showed this kind of drink increases liver detoxification and eliminates unnecessary organic pollutants from the body , skin cleansing, increasing hydration , improving digestion and balancing the pH levels of the body .
Is Detox Water Good for Weight Loss ?
- Most people are looking into detoxing water to get a flatter belly .
- Drinking detox drinks will significantly boost your metabolism, which is great for weight loss.
- It’s important to keep yourself hydrated with water because it keeps the stomach full. When you are full, you are less likely to eat other foods that are fattening. To this water, adding fiber-rich vegetables such as cucumbers or fruits such as pineapple can further help you relieve your hunger pangs.
- Detox Juice generally works because they result in extremely low caloric intake for short periods of time, but they tend to gain weight once a normal diet is resumed.
- Looking Younger: Secrets to looking younger for age is everything to do with the amount of antioxidants in our diet and minimizing the exposure to chemicals.
- Good for digestive health: The properties in detox water make it a healthy choice for your digestive tract by providing healthy nutrients and enzymes. A good digestive system is the key to losing weight.
Few Detox Water Recipes
Lemon Water Recipe
- Squeeze half a fresh lemon into 1 glass of warm or cold water or mix cold water with boiling water to get water to a perfect warm temp before drinking.
- You can infuse more flavor or add a health boost to lemon water by adding:-
- a few springs of mint or any other herb you like
- a teaspoon of raw honey
- a slice of fresh ginger
- a dash of cinnamon
- a sprinkle of turmeric
- a few slice of cucumber
- Slice the cucumber in 1/2 inch slices.
- Cut a cucumber in half from the stem to the bottom so that the seeds are exposed.
- Add cucumber slices to boiling water.
- Allow the cucumber to sit for at least one and a half hours before you drink it. For best results, add cucumber to water and put it in the refrigerator overnight.
- Hydration – Glasses of water a day, adding lemon to your water will help make it taste better and theoretically help you drink more water.
- Improve Digestion – Lemon or cucumber juice helps loosen toxins circulating through the gastrointestinal tract, relieve painful symptoms associated with indigestion, and even reduce the risk of burping and bloating due to excessive gas production in the intestines.
- Good source of Vit C – Vitamin C is abundant in citrus fruits in general, but adding lemon to your water offers you an extra boost. You can add an orange or grapefruit for an extra boost of Vitamin C.
- Improves your skin quality – A 2016 laboratory study proved that a citrus-based drink helped prevent the development of wrinkles in hairless mice. Lemons may help reduce wrinkles, dry skin, and damage from the sun.
To keep the body fit at this time,it is advised to drink water 15 minutes before eating the main meal. Then drink water half an hour after eating. Drinking water between meals causes digestive problems. And to detox, it is better to take water that is at room temperature, not cold water or warm .
According to experts, we need to change the method of detoxing water from time to time. You can drink one kind of detox water for 15 days and then switch to another. Then the body will get all kinds of benefits. However, it is important to see how the body can adapt to this drink.
Side effects and myths of Detox Diet
Not for Teens :- Detox diets are not recommended for underage or teenage individuals. They need enough of the nutrients that are important to healthy growth and energy levels, including enough calories and protein. Low-calorie diets that involve fasting and severe restriction of food are not a good idea , this can lead to vitamins and minerals deficiency.
Detox diets do not help people lose weight or fat :- Detox diets do not help people lose fat. People who go hungry for a few days may lose weight, but most of it will be water and some will be muscle. Most people regain weight shortly after completing the diet.
Not for the People who Have Diseases :- Detox diets aren’t for people with medical problems such as diabetes, heart disease, or other serious health problems. A detox diet is not recommended for people taking medicine. Pregnant women or those with eating disorders should not try detox diets.
Patients suffering from kidney problems may have more potassium in their blood. Adding mint leaves, pomegranate juice, beet juice to detox water will cause adverse effects . If someone has diabetes, drinking detox water made with honey will be harmful.
Frequent urination, soft stools :- Urination and loose stools are some of the ways in which the body eliminates toxins. The herbs and supplements used in detox diets may have harmful ingredients. Laxatives and enemas can cause problems like dehydration and electrolyte and water imbalances. Laxatives make people go to the bathroom more often, and that can get messy.
Hunger and Fatigue :- When one is on a low-calorie diet, which is similar to a detox cleanse, they often experience hunger. Additionally, detoxes often cause fatigue. If one falls ill, they should start taking in more carbohydrates.
Bloating :- When one suddenly gets a lot of fiber through detox water, their body might make them feel bloated , gas , and acidic because of the changes in their diet.
Nausea :- Some mild nausea can be caused by a change in diet and lifestyle, along with the introduction of herbs and nutrients. The best way to avoid nausea is through hydration, diet choices, and more rest.
Not to improve skin complexion :- As with many other detox products, some people claim that detox water flushes toxins from your skin and improves its appearance. There’s no evidence that detox water is more effective than plain water . Drinking water will improve your skin’s hydration if you’re dehydrated and make you glow.
In theory, detoxes sound pretty great. But some experts believe that this is completely unnecessary, because they believe that our organs (such as the liver) will do some heavy work when “cleaning up” the toxins from our body. But what about the results? Of course, detoxification must work to a certain extent-otherwise, why would people do it? Many believe the body will feel refreshed and cleansed , even weight loss after a detox. People don’t eat food, so detox can cause them to lose some weight. But once you return to your normal diet, the weight will return as you start to retain more water again.
If you are concerned about your health, there are many things you can do that do not involve cleansing. Weight loss should not be your only goal. Happiness, confidence, and understanding of yourself, your body, and what you need to live your best life make holistic health possible.